Monday, January 26, 2009

Frankinlindsey

So, about a week ago Skyler was taking me to work early in the morning on his room mate's motor bike. The driving around here is pretty crazy. Not as bad as in Bangkok and Chang Mai but there still doesn't seem to be many rules followed. So, when we were half way there Skyler had to slam on the brakes. We think that he used the front break to much because all I remember is the squealing of the tires and seeing the front wheel turn and bam! Face on pavement! I jumped up grabbed my face and all I could see was blood dripping down and I could feel that one of my front teeth was chipped in half. I started yelling at Skyler (not that it was really his fault) out of shock and confusion. Skyler had scraped up his leg and elbow but other than that he was okay. He stayed very calm and after a minute to breath I calmed down as well. He grabbed the first thing he could find out of our backpack, which just happened to be my dirty underwear, yeah, and put it over my nose which was bleeding. He checked out my face and pushed on my nose to see if it was broken, and we could tell that is wasn't. The rest of it looked bad because your face can bleed a lot but it really only needed first aid treatment. The people that saw the accident were very nice and called the police and ambulance but honestly, we did not need one and did not need to pay for one. So, we jumped back on the bike and finished our journey to the Gibbon Project. Those sweet concerned Thais thought that we were crazy. When we got to the Project we informed the staff that I was not going to be able to work that day, as if they couldn't tell. We got out my first aid kit and Skyler cleaned up my face which was scraped and bruised but did not look as bad after all the blood was cleaned off. Then we got on the bike again and went back to Skyler's school and they took us, in the Principles van, to the hospital. There, I only had them fix my tooth, which means give me half a face tooth, and they did a very good job. I was only in the hospital for 1 hour and my pearly whites were just as they looked before. They were still a little loose but I felt much better. The hospital was the nicest hospital I have ever seen. There was live music in the waiting area and it was super clean. It really looked like a fancy hotel more than a hospital.
The whole ordeal was a bummer, especially because Jessika and TJ were visiting us and I missed out on hanging out with them as much as I could, but I was very lucky. I was not wearing a helmet because we only have one, and by law the driver has to wear it. It was a great day to be alive! It has been a week now and you can hardly even tell that it happened. All my scabs are already gone and I only have one tiny scar. We think that I fractured my nose a little but, I have not been in much pain at all and what do you do for a fractured nose anyway. If I went to a doctor for it they could only really give me pain killers. I told the Gibbon Project that I could go back to work the next day, and I really could have, but they made me rest for a day.
So, now I only have three more days of working with the gibbons. :( I have learned so much and next week I will be giving a talk to some environmental science students at Skyler's school. I'm going to try to go diving this weekend and for the few days that Sky is teaching and I have nothing to do I'm going to the beach. Ahhhh. I also want to volunteer at a homeless dog shelter that is down the street from where I will be staying for a day or two. Our days on Phuket are going fast and I'm going to miss it but I'm also excited to move on to the next chapter of our travels. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment